The National Alliance of Hungarians in Canada (NAHC) is a confederation of Hungarian member organizations in Canada. Its goal is to establish an efficient network, so that these organizations can join their forces and achieve their commons goals.
The charter of NAHC was drafted at its general assembly on September 15, 2012, and its main five objectives are as follows.
- Promote the participation in Canadian and Hungarian national, patriotic, cultural and humanitarian activities.
- Provide the international media and public with objective information on current and past Hungarian events, tribulations, achievements, etc., to serve Hungary’s national interests and its people.
- Promote and distribute the Hungarian language, cultural heritage, history, folklore and traditions among the Hungarian communities in Canada.
- Support and assist members of the Hungarian community worldwide.
- Act as a liaison between various Hungarian organizations, social and professional groups in Canada to facilitate co-operation in economy, science, culture and art.
NAHC’ role is to promote and facilitate the activities of Hungarian organizations in Canada, but it do not have the authority to interfere with the activities of the member organizations. The member organizations are independent and they are governed by their by-laws.
The founding members of NAHC believe that the most effective way to preserve the Hungarian heritage and identity is through engagement with the Hungarian communities. Therefore, NAHC, rather than having individual members, form a confederation of Hungarian organizations in Canada as we feel that this is the most successful model to create communities.
This does not mean that we do not welcome individuals to participate in NAHC’ activities, but we encourage them to do so by joining one of our member organizations. We encourage to set up new local organizations also, if there is a need for it. We would be happy to provide assistance to achieve this, in compliance with the Canadian law, and we extend an invitation to join NAHC as a new member.